CLOSE CBOX
OPEN CBOX
Unmasqued

Poll: What would you prefer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Timeline is as fast as real-life time
33.33%
1 33.33%
Timeline is slower and only moves on when old plots are wrapped up
66.67%
2 66.67%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Our Timeline, and what to do with it
As you probably have noticed, this game has a Timeline. The time when a scene is happening may be more or less accurate, but at least the order in which they happen should be established - so you know what happens first, what scene's outcome might influence future ones, etc.

RP, on the other hand, tends to be much slower than real time. A scene that only lasts a few hours IC may easily take weeks or even months to be concluded. Which is both unavoidable and okay!

What I'm wondering, however, is how to move on the timeline overall, especially since new scenes are started while older plots are still being played (this is barely noticeable now, but it will get more obvious over time).

The options are:
1 - The timeline moves as fast as real-life time, but you still can RP "in the past" to finish your old plots. Newest scenes, unless otherwise specified, are happening at the time when they are written. Older plots, on the other hand, will take all the time they need.
Pros: the timeline doesn't become obsolete. Someone who joins next year won't be wondering why everyone is still playing in 2018.
Cons: scenes with major consequences might become an issue. You start scenes without knowing the outcome of what happened months ago (because those scenes are still being played), so it only works if all consequences are negligible and nothing changes too much.

2 - IC Time moves slower: the timeline doesn't move on until all or at least most old scenes are wrapped up. If I start a plot today, until its outcomes are all played out we're all playing in Summer 2018.
Pros: All consequences can be fully played out. When you start a scene, your chars are informed about past events and can act accordingly.
Cons: After a while the gap widens and people must remind when the game is happening.

For me, both options work, so I'd like to know what you as players like better. Other inputs are welcome, too, just don't suggest timey-wimey options (where you can meet "for the first time" six times and paradoxes are everywhere) because that's really hard on my suspension of disbelief.
I'm not a vet PBF player, but the second option makes more sense to me. Remembering the current date shouldn't be that hard, after all.
I spoke for a bit with Featherstone already about it. I gave it some thought.

I like the idea of a constantly breathing real-time world. While a thread that has a date of July 10th can go on until it's conclusion on December 30th, it can be very daunting for newer players to know where that Summer story fits into the story made in December. It can also be a bit of a confusing moment when characters invested in several threads that span over months, interacting with the same characters when other moments have not played out yet.

A mix of the two might be best. I think the best way to write the overall story together is to note when a new topic is made, what the time or theme is. Just an example, but we can say the first major plot for the game is The Salient, or merely Introduction to the city and game world. If the next plotline is about a plague bearer, it can be noted in the topic or head that the main story the thread follows is under that storyline. That way characters who are no longer involved with The Salient can move on to other new story plots outside of character building.

So I think overall I am voting for model two, though I enjoy model one the most.
Fluid time. Some threads will always run behind, others might keep up. But I'm assuming here that players are pretty good at reading, so things that might influence other treads can be handeled by players together, in my opinion. Smile